The Delaware Museum of Natural History is excited to bring back the popular Gotta Catch ‘Em All Virtual Summer Camp! We have designed a program that will keep our campers and their families safe while still having an awesome week. Campers will build the camp group culture we all love through hands-on learning experiences, shared interactive snack times, educational independent play, songs, dance, animal encounters, museum tours, and science investigations. (Phew! That’s a lot of stuff!)
Let’s dive into the science behind one of the most popular games of our time, Pokémon! Did you know the creator of Pokémon was inspired to build the game based on his own childhood love of bug collecting? If you explore them closely, you’ll start to notice that some Pokémon characters look very similar to some fascinating animals out here in the real world. During this week of virtual camp, we’re going to dive into exploring the natural world, become trainers, and do some collecting of our own. No prior knowledge or passion for Pokémon is required to enjoy this week of virtual fun. In this virtual camp your camper will learn about the amazing characteristics of various animals while practicing age appropriate science skills that include observing, categorizing, and taking care of the environment – all through the fun and familiar lens of Pokémon.
Virtual Camp Structure:
- Camp Dates: August 17 – 21, 2020
- Virtual Camp runs Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 9-11 a.m.
- On Wednesday, there will be an On-Site Exploration Day held at DMNH!
- Come meet your camp staff and have a personal camp experience at the Delaware Museum of Natural History. Anyone within your household may join your camper for an on-site experience related to their camp curriculum.
- Admission to the Museum is included with your On-Site Exploration Day. You and your family are welcome to explore the other Museum areas after the in -person camp experience.
- The experience will last at least 30 minutes. Individual family units will sign up online in advance for a specific time slot and station. Time slots will run from 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- This in-person experience allows you and your family to explore with us while following the safety guidelines from the CDC.
- On this day, there will be no virtual component with staff but we will have at-home options for you and your family.
- Price: $100 for DMNH members/$130 for non-members for the week.
- Ages: Designed for ages kindergarten – completed 2nd grade
- Virtual Platform: Camps are held on ZOOM with any device. ZOOM is free to use. On Friday, you’ll receive email with a ZOOM link to join in camp at 9 a.m. on Monday morning.
- Camp Supplies: Campers will be given a list of supplies needed to participate in the week’s activities. We’ll provide easy and economical options for the activity supplies.
- Note to Parents: We have designed our activities to set your camper up to be as independent as possible while working on camp. An adult will need to start the day with your camper and us for 5-10 minutes to make sure they’re all set. The goal is for your camper to independently enjoy the camp activities for the rest of the time.
- Registration Note: Registration is for an entire week of programming. Camp is best when everyone can participate every day. We understand this may not work for everyone though so we have designed programming where participants can join on any given day and have a great time regardless of whether they were there for the other days of camp.